Tuesday, April 6, 2010

#5 Making My Heart Feel Sore


NaPoWriMo, or National Poetry Writing Month, is an annual project in which participating poets attempt to write a poem a day for the month of April. This is my attempt at 30 poems in 30 days.

my primary school friend added me in facebook today
and through his friends, i found another classmate.
she was the only girl i really remember from primary school
we hardly talked even though we were in the same class
she was royalty and i, i was shy.
we would wait together at the shelter beside the gate for our parents to pick us up after school
that was "us" time.
i would show her how brave I was by jumping into the drain beside the school gate
almost climbing into the darkness to come out the other side
but i wouldn't dare.
i would tell her about giant spiders with glowing red eyes that were in my path
red eyes meant they were poisonous.
she believed me for 2 days,
and then she jumped in herself to see.
she came out the other side and declared that the spiders were gone.
i fell in love and shame...
her dad's car was bigger than my dad's
i think it was white
and it would whisk her away
i haven't seen her since
there's a guy and a child in her display photo
and a dull ache in my heart

- Daryl Goh

1 comment:

  1. i so understand dull aches... :D I keep my eyes on things above... and continue to trust in Him. "If you would believe, you would see the glory of God." (John 11:40)

    ReplyDelete